The Francine Ringold Awards for New Writers honor the work of writers at the beginning of their careers.
Prizes: $500 prizes will be awarded in both the fiction and poetry categories, and the winning manuscripts will appear in the spring issue of Nimrod. Winners will have the chance to work with the Nimrod board of editors to refine and edit their manuscripts before publication.
Eligibility: Open only to writers whose work has not appeared or is not scheduled to appear in more than 2 publications. (Self-published works or works with a distribution of fewer than 100 copies are not considered toward the count of 2 publications.)
- Poetry: Up to five pages of poetry (one long poem or several short poems)
- All work submitted must be unpublished
- In the Cover Letter field on the submission form, paste a cover sheet containing the title, author's name, full address, phone, and email; do not include this in the manuscript document and do not include the author's name as part of the uploaded submission file's name
- Author's name must not appear on the manuscript
- Manuscript text should be double-spaced
- Work submitted may be on any theme, any subject
- The contest is open internationally
Entry Fee: Each entry requires an entry fee of $12.00, which includes a copy of the spring issue of Nimrod. Online submissions have a fee of $1.70 associated with them to cover administrative costs. If you do not wish to pay the $1.70 administrative fee, you may submit by mail for the flat $12.00 fee. Please see our website for details on submitting by mail. Writers may submit multiple entries, but each entry must include its own fee.
Note that all contest submissions will be logged on Submittable with numeric titles in order to maintain anonymity; please be sure the title of the work appears on the manuscript. Requests to revise or edit contest manuscripts after submission will be denied.